Saturday, August 14, 2010

Prescription Produce

A few days ago, I read an article about how some doctors in Massachusetts are advising their patients to eat "prescription produce" from local farmers' markets. They provide 'veggie vouchers' in various amounts to each member of the patient's family. This is in part to help fight childhood obesity, and to get everyone in the family to eat more fruit and vegetables. Brilliant! Americans need more fruit/veggies, less McDonald's.

So, on Friday, when Campbell-Ewald welcomed a local farmer's market, I was a purchasing fool. And let me tell ya, nothing better than locally grown. Peaches, green beans, tomatoes, cantaloupe, red skinned potatoes and cucs...I don't know what to eat first! Of course they had sweet corn, but tomorrow, Ryan, the doggies and I are heading to Manchester for a picking party at my dad's house. His sweet corn is ready, and you better believe we're going to bring home more than we can possibly eat. Too bad my mom isn't here visiting yet, we could have a canning party! That woman knows how to do everything :)

Happy Saturday- my most FAVORITE day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment